- I love Auctionator. How can I show my love?
- I've put many, many hours into developing Auctionator. If you're one of the many people for whom times are tough these
days, please, don't worry about donating.
But if you can afford it, a donation in any amount would be very much appreciated.
- How can I get Auctionator to undercut an auction other than the lowest priced one?
- Just click on the auction that you want to undercut and Auctionator will change its recommendations appropriately.
- Auctionator is crashing. How can I fix this?
- Auctionator is pretty stable these days so if it's crashing, the most likely reason is that the Auctionator data files stored on your computer
have gotten corrupted. This can
happen if Warcraft crashes while writing out these files. There are a couple of ways you can try to fix this.
- Go to Auctionator > Options > Clears and click Clear Scanning History. Then restart WoW and see if the problem is fixed. If the
problem is not fixed, go back to that panel and click Clear Posting History and again, restart WoW and see if the problem is fixed.
If not, repeat with the other buttons on that page.
- If that doesn't work you may have to manually delete the Auctionator data files. To do this you need to locate the SavedVariables folder.
On my machine it's at:
C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\YOURACCOUNTNAME\SavedVariables
In that folder you will find a file called Auctionator.lua and another called Auctionator.lua.bak. Delete the two files and restart WoW.
- Why am I getting an error message when I scan about "more that 42554 auctions"?
- This is a known bug on Blizzard's end. When there are more than 42554 auctions on the AH, Auctionator can only scan the first 42554. Someday, I'm sure
Blizzard will fix this.
- Why doesn't Auctionator show bid/starting prices?
- My number one design goal for Auctionator is to keep it simple. An important piece of this is reducing the clutter of numbers displayed on the screen and the
simplest way to do this is to ignore bid prices. For some people this might be a big inconvenience, but I find that the vast majority of users treat the AH
more like a marketplace and rarely, if ever, pay any attention to bid prices. This is fundamental to the design of Auctionator.
- Why doesn't Auctionator show seller names?
- This is still something I may add someday. The way the WoW programming interfaces work, it's faster and more robust to ignore seller names, which
is why I haven't done it yet.
- In item tooltips, why does Auctionator display the most recently scanned price rather than an average of some sort?
Of course, what we all want is a good estimate of how much a particular item will sell for at the auction house. The question then is whether
there is a mathematical function - be it simple historical averaging or something more sophisticated - that can yield a better
estimate than simply showing the most recently scanned low price. It's certainly possible that there is, but I would bet that it would
require quite a bit of sophisticated data analysis and would yield a only a marginal improvement. Doing something simple, like averaging prices over time
or averaging all auctions of the AH is almost certainly going to be worse, in general, then just showing the current low price.
the 4.0.1 patch came out, glyph prices on my server jumped up to around 75g and were selling briskly at that rate. But every once in a while one player would
post a bunch at a very specific price around 25g. I'm guessing that some auction house mod was recommending that price based on some average that included
prices before the patch. That's a problem with using historic data - things change in WoW. Even when they change less abruptly, averages will respond slowly
to upward and downward trends.
The other reason Auctionator displays the most recent price, is that it's very clear what it is. It isn't some estimate based on historic data of unknown duration,
weighted according to some unknown scheme, minus outliers of unknown definition. Is the most recent price always going to be a good estimate of what an item will
sell for? Not always. But that's also the case for the result of more complicated averages. If you look in the comments or on the forums for other auction
house addons, you'll find plenty of questions about wacky price estimates.
- I found a bug with Auctionator. What should I do?
If the bug still occurs leave me a comment over on curse.com.
Be sure to mention that you already did the 3 steps above - otherwise my reply will be to ask you to do so.
- First, make sure you have the latest version of Auctionator.
- Second, enable "Display Lua Errors" under Options > Interface > Help.
- Third, disable all other add-ons and see if the bug still occurs.
- Can you add a button to let me cancel multiple auctions with a single click?
- I'm afraid Blizzard intentionally makes this impossible.
- Can you make it so that I can buy multiple auctions with a single click?
- I'm afraid Blizzard intentionally makes this impossible.
- What kind of history does Auctionator track?
- Auctionator tracks two different kinds of history.
For a long time, Auctionator has kept a record of auctions that you post. This is displayed for an item when you click the Other tab.
As of version 2.7.3, Auctionator began recording the low price of every item that gets scanned. When you click the History tab
you now see the highest low price recorded for each day. By default, Auctionator keeps the history going back 21 days but you can change that
in the Auctionator settings.
- How can I quickly figure out what craftable items I can make and sell for a profit?
- Download and install Lilsparky's Workshop,
a very cool add-on that works with Auctionator to modify your tradeskill windows to show you the estimated materials cost and estimated selling
price for all the items you can craft.
- Aren't auction house mods like Auctionator effectively cheating?
- Long answer here.
- I keep disconnecting when doing a full scan. Is there anything I can do?
- I don't know that this is a problem these days, but here's the answer I wrote a while back: Disconnnects.
- Why can't I download Auctionator with WowMatrix?
- The short answer is that I believe the people behind WowMatrix have built their business by stealing from
Curse and WowInterface. Therefore I am not allowing them to host Auctionator.
If you find Auctionator useful, please consider making a donation to support its continued development.